Tastes like winter,
ناقصها بس خيمة, دوّة و حليب بالزعفران
I was thinking about cooking something that satisfies my taste buds. A dish that’s sweet but not too sweet, easy to make but delicious. My mother suggested one of her recipes.
It’s been a family secret up until this day … excellent for winters btw. and if there is one thing that you just HAVE TO BAKE, it would be this recipe.. try it, you won’t regret it
- 1 large apple, peeled and cut into slices
- 4 Table spoons of Butter, or half a stick (it has to be butter)
- 1 Tea spoon Cinnamon (sometimes, the taste gets overwhelming for some fa you can put 1/2 tsp instead)
- 1/3 cup flour (used whole wheat this time, turned out to be tastier!)
- 1/3 cup milk (you can use skimmed)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2/3 cups Sugar
- 4 eggs – separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- a drop of vanilla
can’t get any easier.., for the above picture, I only used half of the above ingredients and one medium apple, but it depends on how thick or thin you like your slices. my advice is to cut the apples and pre arrange them in the skillet you’re going to use, to see if they’re enough.
- Using a skillet (frying pan), melt the butter and add 1/3 cup of sugar with cinnamon.
- once the ingredients are mixed together, remove the skillet from the heat and arrange the apples slightly overlapping. then put them back on heat. now, if you like the apple to preserve their shape, then don’t keep them too long, couple of minutes will do. I like mine extra soft and gooey so I kept them for about 6 minutes. Take them off the heat and let them sit while you mix the rest of the ingredients . this is very important so that the apples stay in their place when you put the batter.
- Mix flour with baking powder, salt, milk, vanilla and egg yolks together.
- In a different bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks can be formed, and add the rest of the sugar.
- take half of the egg white mixture and fold it in gently with the egg yolk mixture, we want to trap as much air as possible, so fold gently then fold in the other half.
- pour the batter on top of the apples and put them in the over in a 200 degree celsius for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. mine takes about 8 minutes but it was a small skillet.
once its done, take them out of the oven, loosen the edges of the pancake then flip it on a plate and serve it hot.. you can eat it with hot custard which is my favorite addition to this dish or vanilla ice cream.