There is nothing like a “sepia” weather that calls for creativity in the kitchen! Today’s dish is Seafood Chowder. no wait.. its a lower in fat, healthier version of the seafood chowder. wouldn’t want to mess up my calorie intake :)
- 500 grams of any type of seafood variety you like. its best cooked with shell fish and prawns and if you’re lazy, just take a bag of frozen mixed seafood and throw it in :)
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of .. yes skimmed milk. + 1-2 table spoons of cornstarch (but if you want the tasier version, use 1 cup of cream and one cup of full fat milk)
- one big potato cut into small cubes, but if you’re lazy like me today, make them bigger.
- 1 medium onion (lazem white, I didn’t use white, that’s why its darker than it should)
- 2 table spoons of oil (1 TBS olive oil, 1 vegetable oil)
- 1 TBS all purpose flour
- 1-2 maggie’s veggie cubes (for extra oomph)
- in a medium sized pot, saute` the onions until they’re soft. don’t let them reach the golden brown phase.
- add in the potatoes and mix them well with the onions then add the flour. keep mixing (the proper way is to make a roax which is a mixture of butter and flour to act like a thickenning agent but yeah, I’m lazy and it doesn’t make any difference in this dish.. its supposed to be easy and done in one pot)
- add one cup of water (or 2 if you like it liquidy like I do) and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until potatos are soft.
- add the seafood mixture and the milk and let it heat up. mix it well to let the milk absorb all the flavors.
- if you find it too watery, mix 1-2 TBS of cornstarch with a bit of water then drop it in.
How to serve:
- you can serve it as is
- add chopped spring onions with each serving for more flavor
- or as is, like I said! ;)
Serve it hot.