A recipe suitable for the lazy cold nights. Influenced by my tom yum loving colleague :)
I wanted something that’s light, warm and easy to do. Opened my fridge and found lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, sliced octopus, lime, and salted shrimps (they’re tiny shrimps, preserved in salt in a jar), along with some other stuff.. so I decided to do a “not a tom yum” soup.
- 2 Lemon Grass sticks
- Seafood. either chopped up fish fillets or shrimps. I used octopus.
- Lime juice and zest
- Salted shrimps. If they’re not available, use salt, fish sauce and vegetable stock.
- Kaffir lime leaves. (can be found at lulu hyper market)
- Chili flakes
- Tomato Paste
- Fresh chili if you want it to be extra hot.
Directions: This is why I love this soup :)
- Bring around 4 – 5 cups of water to a boil.
- Add ingredients in step 4 and curry as well, you only need around half a tsp.
- For the lemon grass, cut the first cm from below and discard it, then only use the next 5cm for cooking. Cut them in either circles or like match sticks. I added the green part of the lemon grass for extra flavor, but if u want to eat the lemon grass, only use the white part. add them to the boiling water along with the lime leaves. remove the stem from the lime leaves and let everything simmer for around 5-7 minutes.
- Add around 4 TBS of tomato paste. keep mixing and add the seafood, mushrooms and chili flakes. Let it cook for 10 minutes or until seafood is cooked.
- Add the lime juice and serve while it’s hot. I like to garnish my soup with hot fresh chili but if it’s too hot for you, then just garnish it with parsley.
This is a very aromatic soup and has zero added fat. Delicious and warms up your body with all the chili in it :D