I’m very happy with today’s cooking outcomes :). It was delicious, satisfying and very easy to make.
- 6 cannelloni (big tube like pasta)
- 2 TBS flour
- 2 TBS Butter
- 1 to 2 cups of milk (depending on how thick you want your bechamel)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 big carrot
- 1 parsnip
- 2 big zucchini’s
- 3 spring onions
- 2 Maggie cubes
- mozzarella cheese
you have 3 parts; the cannelloni, the stuffing and the sauce.
For the cannelloni:
- boil water, salt and a bit of oil (people think its a waste of olive oil but I like adding oil, it clings to the pasta when you strain the water)
- drop the cannelloni in the water and keep them for 2-3 minutes. we want them to be half cooked
- strain the water and wash soak them with cold water to stop them from cooking
For the sauce:
- in a pot, heat some olive oil and add cilantro, garlic and maggie cube and saute` them.
- add in the 2 TBS of butter and once it melts, add the 2 TBS of flour. this acts like a thickening agent (called roux)
- once everything is fully incorporated, add in the milk and keep adding untill you reach the desired consistency
- take it off the heat.
For the stuffing:
- in a pot, heat some oil (about 1 TBS is enough), and drop in the garlic, chopped onions and spring onions.. saute` them and add 1 maggie cube.
- put the 2 tomatoes in the blender and keep them ready for use.
- shred carrots, parsnip and zucchinis. add carrot and parsnip in the pot first. once it gets softer, add the tomato puree… keep mixing then add the zucchinis
- add in salt if needed.
- take a bit of the stuffing and place it in a baking plate, then mix it with the sauce. (optional but it really does make a difference)
- stuff the cannelloni with the stuffing and place them on the mixture.
- add in a bit more stuffing on top then pour the bechamel until it covers the cannelloni
- sprinkle mozzarella cheese then bake it for 20 minutes in the oven
A seriously delicious lunch :D